Monday, January 7, 2008

Group 3: Bilawal Bhutto




Bilawal Bhutto Zardari is the 19 year old son of Benazir Bhutto. After his mother's assasination, he was chosen to be the leader of the Pakistan People's Party (PPP). He is expected to carry on his mother's legacy and help the PPP ride the Bhutto sympathy vote into the Prime Minister's office. He is a student at Oxford University in England and is said to be a good athlete. He enjoys cricket and has a black belt in taekwondo. After he finishes his studies at Oxford, he will be expected to return to Pakistan and become the leader of the PPP. His inheritance is similar to that of his mother's entry into Pakistan's political arena. Benazir Bhutto became a politician as a result of her father's execution at the hands of the military junta that overthrew him.

Does Bilawal have a choice? What makes him qualified for the job? Can he say no?

What are your thoughts? If you found yourself in this situation, what would you do?

Your response is due by 315pm on January 11, 2008. As always, sign your posts with your first name and last initial.

20 comments:

Afirefly486 said...

Biawal does not have a choice about his political course in life, it is part of history, culture and tradition to carry on their parents occupations especially if it is a highly sought after position. He is qualified and unqualified; he is smart which is shown in his acceptance in Oxford, he is 3rd generation there. He is though shy, and quiet it is said. He does though love history and books which it is said that “History never repeats it self, it only rhymes”, so he will understand the history and culture that goes along with his position. Based on his culture and tradition he cannot say no, but because he is accepted and understands outside cultures he is able to say no because he sees what else is out there for him. In his culture he is to carry on the family legacy of being strong politicians so the choice is up to him now with clashing cultures. If I found myself in this situation I would try very hard to do the high occupation but the security and my life is at risk with that occupation, so I believe knowing myself that I would not be able to take that risk.

David Rosenberg said...

Unfortunately Biawal doesn't have a choice. Like the Gandhi dynasty, the next family member is expected to do the job regardless of what their experience level is. I'd say Biawal is unqualified now, but i have a feeling he definitely could be in numerous years. Thing that struck me the most is the fact that hes 19 years old. My sister is 19 years old. A freshman in college definitely needs more time before ruling a country. Taking on such a challenge is not for someone just four years older than me. Oxford is a good school, and I think he has potential. I he has interest in politics, he will go for it, but if he says no, he will make a lot of people angry, and for that reason he can't say no.

Personally, I would never take the job. In all the dynasties we have learned about, many of the leaders were killed, and I know I wouldn't be able to lead a country in 4 years. I think Biawal should say no. His mom was a mediocre leader, but was named a savior of the country following her martyr. He's unqualified, but in ten years he might be. He needs to go play some cricket and continue taekwondo somewhere, and let an experienced leader rule Pakistan. Unfortunately he has no choice, he can't say no.

David R

Ian Palin said...

cc

Ian Palin said...

i beleive that he does not have a choice because his position is past down in his family im not sure if he is qulified or not but i think that every one thinks he would be great for the job because he is in the family whitch has been past down. if i was found in this situation i would not watn to rule at a young age like that exspecally when his family has been assasinated but i would still probebly rule because i wouldnt want to let my family down and i would rule.

Kenny O said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kenny O said...

Biawal pretty much doesn't have a choice. Whether he likes it or not, he has to become the next leader for the people. If I was him I didn't want to put my life and family in that type of danger, I would flee the country and probably come down here to America as a refugee. But if he likes the power and wants to become a prime minister like his mother and is willing to put himself in that danger, I believe that he should go for it. He has an Oxford education, so probably the people of his country will listen to him rather than some other native of his country. Also being trained in marshall art, may make him feared amoung the suicide bombers and other guerellas, and will keep him safer.

Although most of his family has been killed and may still die in the future, you really can't say no to something that may change the world for your people. If it means dieing will help the country, thean as becoming prime minister, he's taking that risk. If he says "no", he's may just as well flee (probably still gonna die). So taking the leadership is probably a cleverer thing to do. I don't really know.

Mr R Fan said...

In my opinion Biawal does not have a choice to go into politics or not. From his mother's participation in office, he is almost dead set into politics after the reign of his mothers rule has ended. You can view it as a family business. Usually when a person dies or lets down command as a head in the business usually are member of the family is asked to take up his or her role. So Biawal unfortunately has to participate in this sp to speak family business. In truth there is nothing that he has done that makes him qualified for the job, so morally he should not be able to take office. I mean a black belt in taekwondo not mean he can take on the head of a country position. But the problem is that he can’t say no and put shame to his families name and reputation. If i was in this very large predicament I would suck it up and assume office. Unfortunately it is way easier said then done. Overall I do not think Biawal is escaping or kicking his way out of this one.

Mr R Fan said...

mr r fan is grant

laurenlewi said...

I think the Bilawal does have a choice about what he wants to do with his political life. He could choose not to follow in his mother’s footsteps and take his own path, or he could choose to become the leader of the Pakistan People’s Party. The only thing that makes him qualified for the job is the fact that his mom was the leader of the PPP. For example, just because George H.W. Bush was president, that didn't mean that his son (George W. Bush) had to become president as well. In a way, Bilawal is qualified to become the leader because he attends Oxford and because he is interested in politics. If he felt that he isn't ready to become a leader of the PPP, he could say no. It's his decision. If i was in his choice and I had to make a very big decision like this, I would think about all the benefits, the responsibilites, the choices, and everything else that associates with becoming a leader. Even though people would expect me to follow in my mother's footsteps, I'm not my mother and people shoulnd't expect me to be like her. This same concept applies to Bilawal.

wilg said...

Bilawal Bhutto has no say or choice in this matter because of the "Bhutto Dyansty". The People's Party of Pakistan was relying on the deceased Benazir Bhutto to bring them back into power but since she is gone and now seen as a martyr they will have to use Bilawal to get in office. If Bilawal was to decline the nomination to lead the PPP there would be many angry people, putting Bilawal in danger and he would disgrace his family's legacy. On the other hand if Biawal accepts and becomes the leader of the PPP he could end up like his grandfather and mother. Since Bilawal has no choice in whether he leads the PPP or not because they were relying so heavily on his mother he might as well accept his fate and try to lead the country by surrounding himself with experienced leaders.
If I was in Bilwal's position I would for sure not take the position of leader of the PPP or any political party at the age of 19. At 19 no one is qualified to lead a country, regardless if your mother was the next leader of pakistan. I also do not think i could deal with the stress or pressure of leading a country. With people trying to assinate you and your decisions affecting millions of people,I do not think i would take the position.

Anonymous said...

Biawal does not have much of a choice about leading the PPP. If he said no, the PPP and his family would probably be angry with him, although that may not matter to him. He is only 19, which seems a little young to be leading a country, but other than that he seems like a smart person who might actually turn out to be a good leader in a few years. He is still in college and he probably had other plans for his future, so he might be reluctant to say yes to the position, especially if he doesn't care about his family and the people of Pakistan's opinion. Also, seeing as his grandfather and mother died because of politics, he might be worried about being assasinated. But because of all the pressure from the PPP he has to say yes, no matter what his worries or beliefs are.

itsamanda said...

Bilawal does have a choice. He does not have to turn to politics all of a sudden just because of his mother's death. But if Bilawal does decide to take up his mother's place, he is definately qualifed for the job. He goes to Oxford, and hence he is an educated person. Personaly, if I was in this situation I would not take up politics just because of pressure, unless I really enjoyed it. But I don't, and it would be too much stress, at least for me. I would rather spend my time doing something I love to do. Also, it is quite dangerous to take the position because there is always the risk of being attacked or killed, like Benazir Bhutto was. That type of pressure on one's shoulders is detrimental to health and you would always to have to be on watch. In all, Bilawal should not take it up.

Amanda Sz.

Anonymous said...

Bilawal Bhutto is faced with a very difficult situation. Technically, he has the right to refuse to take office. However, because of the Bhutto Dynasty that his mother left behind, it is extremely unlikely that he will do so. Bhutto is reasonably qualified to become prime minister. After watching his mother and grandfather in politics, he must have a background in what it is like to lead a country. He is also a well-rounded young man that appears to be intelligent. Although Bhutto is young and inexperienced, his family has been in politics for a while, so he has experienced everything first hand.
If I was faced with a similar situation, I would not become prime minister. After losing a mother, the last thing I would want is an entire country on my shoulders. I would have watched my grandfather be overthrown and executed and my mother assassinated. This would greatly minimize the temptation of becoming prime minister. Instead, I would announce that I did not feel qualified or in the right condition to run for prime minister, and I would stay out of politics altogether.
-Victoria E

11jshovers said...

James S.-idk if I'm in group 2 or 3

Bilawal has a choice because in this day and age where we don't have to follow in our parents footsteps. Bilawal might be in more of an extreme condition but people also are more understanding then they used to be.

If I was in his situation I would first finish school. Then I would slowly get into politics and after 10 years or so run for prime minister of Pakistan. Then at least I could learn how politics work and not bite off more than I could chew.

I don't believe he is even qualified for the job. Plus what person in there right mind would want a kid straight out of college to rule a country. Even if he is a legacy, a college kid with not much experience in politics should not be in charge of a country.

-James S.

jbowen said...

Pakistan is in Turmoil. What Pakistan needs most is political stability, but not at the expense of the Pakistani people's faith in their government. What is especially important is that Pakistan has a loyal opposition party to Pervez Musharraf. This is where Biawal comes in. Whether he likes it or not, people are counting on him to become a democracy advocate. In that sense, it is his duty not to his family, but to his country that he take a role in its future.

jbowen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
arebw said...

Bilawal Bhutto's path in life is pre destined. That path is to take over his Mother's and Grandfather's legacy in Pakistani politics. Yes, he does look as if he has not been hitting the books at Oxford but rather engaging in what I'll call "Risky Behaviors" (thanks to Mrs. Jensen). He would probably sent the country into economical turmoil and wouldn't care either way. But who cares if he's 19 and has no politica savvy or knowledge. He is a product of Western Society and the son of Martyr.
Bennett W.

natalier said...

I think that Biawal has a choice when it comes to his future as a leader of the PPP. The people are trying to force the job on him and he should have a choice in it. He is so young, and this may make him incapable of taking this position. If he wants to take the position he should, but nobody can make him do it. If he is forced to he may be a bad leader. A leader should want to have the job and thats partially what makes them good at it. The people should let him choose and if he chooses not to there im sure is someone who would be willing to take the job.

brewcrew2_2 said...

I thing that Biawal has very little choice in his right to say no about his political status. Unlike the United States, in Pakastan, even though it is a democracy, there is a lot more power just because of your name or legacy of potlical power. If I where in his situation I do not think that I would like to have so much political power in Pakastan. I would already be in college and could be much more successful doing something else in a diffrent country for a better paying job then go to a place where I may always be the target.

Noah Mandel said...

Noah Mandel--

Bilawal Bhutto Zardari does not have a choice and that he will follow in his mother's footsteps and become a political leader in Pakistan. He does seem qualified for the job by going to a very prestigious University, Oxford. Oh wait, he is only 19 years old! He has no experience and is too young to be head of the PPP party in Pakistan. John F. Kennedy, the youngest US president to be elected, was 43 when he was sworn into office. Bilawal still has a lot of maturing to do and needs some political expierence. Otherwise he could turn out to be a terrible leader and be the cause of a nuclear war using Pakistan's "weapons of mass destruction." That would not be good. He is not qualified for the job, but he cannot refuse it either.

If I was in Biawal's situation I would first be pleased to have studied at Oxford University. But, I would end up declining the political job because politics is a dirty profession. I would then never go back to Pakistan because I would be hated for not following in my mother's footsteps.

--Noah Mandel